Variscan Mines Limited (ASX: VAR) – $0.032
16 Feb 2015
Variscan Mines Limited (ASX: VAR) has received gold assay results from a recently completed rock chip sampling program at its St Pierre Project in Brittany, France (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Location of St Pierre on geological setting
High grade gold assays have been recorded in five areas and the highlights include:
- A number of high grade results of up to 18.8g/t gold were generated from sampling of remnant quartz veins preserved at the La Bellière gold mine
- An assay of 159g/t gold was recorded in quartz veining north of the gold mine
- Rock chip assays of 28.6g/t gold and 3.04g/t gold were recorded from a shear structure at the Belleville prospect
- A rock chip assay of 21.5g/t gold was recorded in the eastern extension of the Bègrolle shear zone located approximately 2km south of the gold mine
- A rock chip assay of 37g/t gold was recorded from a strongly oxidised breccia north of the La Rouillère shear zone
The St Pierre exploration licence covers 386 square kilometres around the La Bellière gold mine that produced approximately 334,000 ounces of gold during 1906 to 1952 with an average production grade of 12g/t gold.
Most gold mineralisation within the region is hosted by brittle-ductile east-west to east-north-east striking shear zones cutting across gently dipping Brioverian aged siliclastics (greywackes and phyllites).
Follow up soil sampling has commenced at the Belleville prospect to identify targets for trenching and/ or drilling.
For further information, visit www.variscan.com.au
Resources Stocks to Watch (RSTW) is the leader in research on over 680 ASX listed micro to small-cap mining stocks and commodities. We are independent and do not accept commissions. We tell it like it is. Our reports are researched by experienced geologists and resources analysts, the experts in the field.